Thursday, April 04, 2013

Roger Ebert 1942-2013


Like a lot of people, I first became aware of Roger Ebert through his movie review show on public television with the late Gene Siskel in the 1980's. Much later, I became a follower of his reviews and his blog on the internet. The fella could really write, and write about anything as near as I can tell. I trusted his reviews, but more than that it was just fun reading whatever he had to say. 

Roger discovered my work when it was posted on the Huffington Post website, and tweeted a link. When he became aware of my blog, from which the images originally came from he posted this nice tweet, and sent me a short message telling me that
he enjoyed what I do. 
I was so thrilled that I drove down to the coffee shop, ordered one of the expensive drinks, and sat out in the sun laughing about it with my daughter. What can I say, I thought a lot of the guy.
After that, nearly every week my wife would smile and ask "Have you heard from your good friend, Roger, lately?"

A year or so later, I was feeling full of myself after finishing my first animated video so I sent him a link. To my astonishment he wrote a short post at his journal, and his Facebook page, which still makes me happy.  Luckily I saved our email exchanges, and I read them when I get down on myself.  His "reviews" of my work will always mean a lot.

Anyway, that's what he meant to me. I'm sure going to miss his writing. Reading his work never ever felt like a waste of time. 

Good work, Roger.  R.I.P.